Channel Two Action News at 4:00 PM. Coverage you can count on.
A stove top fire did serious damage to this townhouse. Now there’s a new device that could protect you from kitchen fires.
We had very little damage.
How the device could potentially save lives.
New at four, a local fire department is asking apartments to include a kitchen safety device they are convinced will save lives. Channel Two’s Linda Stouffer, got a look at how it works.
Union city fire Marshall, Larry Knowles lit paper to show us how it works. With that bang a can drops what could be lifesaving fire suppression powder. You can see how it puts out a stove top fire in the manufacturer’s promotional video.
And it puts the fire out so quick that it does not even start scorching the cabinets or anything.
Chief Knowles saw it in action this month. These pictures are from a near disaster in a Union City condo kitchen fire. The powder, like baking soda, is everywhere. But no burn marks.
And we had very little damage to the apartment at all.
Manager Rosie Hogan says they snap the magnets onto every vent hood now at the Ashford Oaks apartments. At 20 bucks each, she’s convinced the stove top fire stop cans save lives and money.
No doubt at all. Thousands of dollars.
What can happen when a kitchen fire gets out of control? Well look at this townhouse. The fire Marshall says about a year ago, a fire on the stove top quickly ate through the first floor, the second floor, and the roof of this townhome. And to prevent this kind of fire disaster, the fire Marshall is asking every apartment complex in Union City to hang these cans in the kitchens where he says more than 40% of house fires start.
Every fire we’ve had in these complexes where these have been used, we’ve had minimal amount of damage done to the property. So yes, they absolutely do work.
In South Fulton County, Linda Stouffer, Channel Two Action News.